The School of Medicine and Public Health has embarked on a renovation of the Health Sciences Learning Center
that will create, maintain, and improve our state-of-the-art learning environment.
All four floors of the existing learning center will improve. Project goals include increasing both quiet and group study space and creating better learning and collaborative environments. For example, the project will continue the work started last summer for cluster classrooms.
The University of Wisconsin’s nationwide invitation to submit proposals for this project resulted in a narrow field of firms who interviewed on campus in mid-October. The team of OPN Architects, a multi-disciplinary firm based in Madison, and The S/L/A/M Collaborative from Connecticut, medical learning environment specialists, were without a doubt the best qualified team we interviewed.
Because some disruption is inevitable with a construction project of this scope, regular project updates from the project team will be available on this site. Please visit often to ask questions, offer feedback, and stay up-to-date on this exciting step for the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health.
Latest Project Updates
- Little details make a big differenceWhen complete, the Health Sciences Learning Center Enhancement project will mean big changes that will create, maintain, and improve our state-of-the-art learning environment. All four floors of the existing learning center will be improved, including increasing both …May 10, 2017
- Moving day adviceA town hall was held May 3 with all occupants of the HSLC who will be affected by upcoming construction for the enhancement project. As outlined in that meeting and in the graphic above, construction …May 3, 2017
- Phased construction already underwayOrchestrating a construction project such as the one being undertaken at the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s School of Medicine and Public’s Health’s Health Sciences Learning Center is, like, well, conducting an orchestra. Just as the maestro …April 28, 2017
- Social spaces enhanced, added during renovation Driven in part by the April 2018 site visit by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, the School of Medicine and Public Health’s renovation of the Health Sciences Learning Center is focused on improving our state-of-the-art learning …April 5, 2017
- ‘Shop’ for silent study furnitureStudents will have a chance to weigh in on furniture options that may be selected for the silent study area. A selection of furniture pieces will be on display in the atrium from March 20 …March 12, 2017